PrettyArbitrary (
prettyarbitrary) wrote in
getting_started2026-10-20 10:37 am
Entry tags:
An Assortment of Tutorials
Tagging posts
On DW, post tagging works differently than more modern platforms. Here, your tag archive is easily accessible to you and others, and manageable. Check out my list. (I made those nested ones by using tags fandom: wod and fandom: temeraire--the system understands that's actually two nested tags.)
You can even display them as a widget in your blog's sidebar, like I did on mine:
prettyarbitrary.
The post creation module also makes it very easy to review and select the tags you want to apply to any given post. So if you have categories you want to keep organized, such as 'my art' or 'my fic' or 'book recs,' apply them consistently and you can end up with a premade library. Which, yes, you can link to. Here's my 'dreamwidth' tag.
How to @ a user or community
Shows like e.g.
pillowfolks. The user or community you link to this way will not get a notification they've been mentioned. But it does make their name linkable.
How to do that text box thing I just did
How to make linkable text
Most platforms make this easy to do these days, but hey, just in case you want to do it by hand and you don't know how:
And it shows like this: Here I'm linking to The text I want to be visible.
How to add a read-more cut
And here's how it comes out.
Stuff under the cut.
Older folks on DW will sometimes refer to these as LJ cuts.
Note that this does automatically start the cut-text on a new line. If you want to hide or black out a spoiler or potentially triggering text in the middle of a paragraph, it doesn't work well for that purpose.
How to embed an image in your post
How to embed a clickable image in your post
Crossposted to
newcomers
pillowfolks
On DW, post tagging works differently than more modern platforms. Here, your tag archive is easily accessible to you and others, and manageable. Check out my list. (I made those nested ones by using tags fandom: wod and fandom: temeraire--the system understands that's actually two nested tags.)
You can even display them as a widget in your blog's sidebar, like I did on mine:
The post creation module also makes it very easy to review and select the tags you want to apply to any given post. So if you have categories you want to keep organized, such as 'my art' or 'my fic' or 'book recs,' apply them consistently and you can end up with a premade library. Which, yes, you can link to. Here's my 'dreamwidth' tag.
How to @ a user or community
Shows like e.g.
How to do that text box thing I just did
How to make linkable text
Most platforms make this easy to do these days, but hey, just in case you want to do it by hand and you don't know how:
And it shows like this: Here I'm linking to The text I want to be visible.
How to add a read-more cut
And here's how it comes out.
Stuff under the cut.
Older folks on DW will sometimes refer to these as LJ cuts.
Note that this does automatically start the cut-text on a new line. If you want to hide or black out a spoiler or potentially triggering text in the middle of a paragraph, it doesn't work well for that purpose.
How to embed an image in your post
How to embed a clickable image in your post
Crossposted to

no subject